Search

 

Monday, August 27, 2007

You Want Coverage... Heres Your Coverage!

First off you gotta go here if you wanna watch the videos!

Now Enjoy

Opening Statements:

Karl Dean: A clear Choice between him and Bob?
Married with 3 kids.
Public Education first. (my question... why are your children in Private schools if the public schools matter?)


Bob Clement: Former Congressman for TN
Former College President
Former Chair Congressional Education Council
For Educational reform; and accountability.
Also believes that blindly throwing money into our schools is not the answer.



1.) Corporate Relocations:

Bob Clement: The Fact is these businesses are moving to Nashville, but only the Nashville AREA. We don't want to give away the store; but we've got to sit down and negotiate with these companies to get them to settle in Davidson County. Thats what I'll do.
(this is the key to Keeping businesses in Davidson County. Work with the corporations; but don't be a shill for them.)

Karl Dean: Nashville has done very well in the last 4 years in getting corporations to settle in Nashville. Louisiana Pacific and Other Companies have built corporate offices in our downtown.
45% of those new jobs are in Davidson County. the other 55% of expansion is spread out throughout the 9 surrounding counties.
(so Karl thinks we're doing fine... everything is Great... NICE)

Bob Clement; Rebutt: Karl the Fact is a lot of the Jobs ARE NOT here in Nashville. I believe in Regional economic growth and development but we have to strengthen the economic core in Davidson County to keep our taxes low, first.
(i believe bob is right here... As a matter of fact 55% are not Davidson County Residents by Karl's numbers. Also a region without a strong base community{Davidson County} is bound to economically cave in on itself)


2.) Involving Young People in Politics:


Karl Dean: When Elected I can get youth in politics because I will be a new administration; with young blood and younger faces.
(non answer)

Bob Clement: Nashville is a young persons paradise. We have a brand name; Music City USA; we need to expand on that as well. Young People come here without a job because they know Nashville is a young persons paradise. We can do better. I'm going to recruit in the US and All over the World; to utilize my contacts {to reach out to all Nashvillians} and move Nashville from good to great.

(non answer)
Dean Rebutt: We need to keep our tax base low. It is my goal to keep our tax base as low as possible. I have never voted for a tax increase.
(But you've signed an approval on two... I HAVE THE DOCUMENTS)
Congressman Clement has; as a congressman. And I have not made a pledge not to raise taxes.
(we know... because you will if you deem it necessary)

***Dean Licks his Lips.. ALOT... this is a tell for a person lying... just an FYI...***


3.) City Infrastructure:

BC:Transportation and Infrastructure is my bread and butter. That's a way we can build Nashville, but we also have to make sure it's safe. Sure you have to make it safe, and sure you have to fund it, but I'm also going to put a lot of emphasis on public transit and mass transit. thats a quality of life issue.

(Kinda avoided it there. But I think his purpose was to say we can utilize our current funding to make the repairs while diverting other funds to develop a feasible mass transit system)

On the Tax Comment, Karl, as a congressman I have raised taxes; but I have given my fair share of tax cuts as well. It's all about responsible budgeting. and when I left congress we had a balanced budget. I was on the budget committee and I worked very diligently to keep the U.S. moving forward.

(ZAP! POW! ZING! *for those who never watched batman those are the noises made in a good fight*)


KD: we need to be aware of how we maintain our roads and bridges. we also need to look into how we maintain our water and sewer systems there are aging pipes in Nashville.
I am very interested in public transportation. I've proposed rapid bus transit.
(buses equiped with the tech to make a light turn green as the bus approaches...{won't this make wait times longer for vehicular traffic?})
This transit will encourage all Nashvillians to utilize mass transit.

{not sure I like this bus idea.}

BCR: I have secured funds previously for mass transit. Also Walking trails, bicycle paths and our commuter rail. That is a part of our future; mass transit.


Illegal Immigration

KD:I support sheriff hall's 287 g program. to me it is a fundamental part of the justice system. we need to know who they are and where there from. If somebody is here in violation of the law they should be turned over to our INS services. We need to be welcoming and diverse.


BC: We are a friendly city; we are a diverse city. I am for Legal immigration. I do not support illegal immigration. We are the only county to have a 287g program in Tennessee; and I will work with sheriff hall to get all the federal funding we need to continue this program.


KDR:Illegal immigration is largely a federal government issue. Congressman Clement has been a part of the problem as a member of the federal goverment in the past.

(I am really getting sick of this attorney talking about running a clean race and then shoving a fist in bob's mouth every chance he gets. I personally think Bob was an AMAZING congressman; and have a feeling a majority of Nashvillians will be validating that they feel the same very soon.)


Recruiting Teachers:

BC:As I said earlier we've got to improve our education system. when it comes to expenditure per pupil we are the highest school district in the state of TN. We are also one of only two school districts that can be taken over by the state government. I will not let the state government take over Nashville's schools because I will correct the issues with our schools. I will bring reform and accountability to the education system in Nashville; and I will make sure the people get their monies worth, of our education dollars spent.
He's got the connections at the state and federal level... We should see what he can do.

KD: To keep businesses and families in davidson county we need our schools should be some of the best in Tennessee. We should be recruiting the best teachers here. I am committed to making sure the schools in davidson county are exceeding the performance of the schools in the surrounding counties.
How?
BCR: I want to improve the school system. It has to happen; and we've got to pick up the pace.
Agreed.

Public Art:

KD: I actually do Like it. (In reference to the "Ghost Ballet..." modern art piece on the riverfront now) I think the best view is going down Broadway towards the river. The issue is this a proper expenditure; and I think yes. We have a fund for public art; and we should use it.

(good... I never said he was horrible. but he's not MY mayor...)

BC:Ghost Ballet. I was there at the grand opening. Its sort of a roller coaster to heaven. I have a real appreciation for music and art. Schermerhorn; our symphony; its unbelievable what we have here. I got legislation passed at the federal level to increase funding for the arts in schools. And I'll tell you having these arts classes in schools is a good thing for your children; because it opens up that creative side(of the brain)

(and good)

KDR:I think Nashville is a great city and a city of the future. you become a city of the future by attracting creative people. we need to continue to do that.

(I'd like to see if we could start out with the kids here first... Just a thought)

Environmentally friendly Public Transportation:

BC:I support Alternative fuel sources. I would like to make our area more environmentally sensitive. I don't know how many of you have seen Al Gore's movie
(an inconvenient truth... Very much worth the watch)
but we need to face it Global Warming is REAL.
(GO BOB!)
We need to take this seriously. Yes, I would work with the state and federal government to make sure Nashville Has clean Air and Clean Water. We also have to work with our surrounding cities and counties as well.
(Awesome Answer!)

KD: Mayor Purcell has said that we want to meet Kyoto Protocols. I support that. We need to build our buildings in a way so that we have the most efficient buildings. We need to use alternative fuels in our vehicles especially if they can save us money. We need to make more room for green ways and green space.

(I Like it... hopefully bob will steal it. =P )

BCR: Parks and Green ways are critically important to our future. I was the co-author of the national legislation for green ways and bicycle paths all over the country. I wanted them in Nashville and I want to connect them now. I see Green ways and Bicycle Paths as an environmentally friendly issue that we need to focus on for our kids and our families.

(and nope... just pulled the rug out from under Karl that's all...)


Personal Involvement in Non Profit Groups:

KD: I was on the board of United Cerebral Palsy of Tennessee for many years. I was interested in helping. Another organization I've been involved with is reconciliation ministries. They work with the families and children of inmates. I'd like to end the cycle of crime.
Awesome... I hope he can continue to help lead these groups to further success in our Area. Karl seems like the perfect leader of a non profit group that works on rehabilitating convicts and their families.

BC: Girl Scouts; Boy Scouts; Oasis Center. With Habitat for Humanity I hold the worlds record for fastest built house; I put a team together and we built that house in 4 hours 39 minutes and 8 seconds. That house is still standing and that family still lives there. I'm going to create an office of volunteerism where our community can unite and make a difference in peoples lives.
Also Great

KDR: I served on the board of the Oasis Center and they do a great job. I want to manage the budget in a reasonable fashion and I do not want to add more bureaucracy; which i believe an office of volunteerism would do. We have an organization in Nashville Called Hands On Nashville; which really does everything bob wants his office of Volunteerism to do. I would rely on the private non profit sector to handle that.
Mehhh.... wouldn't we be better off having a government organization to back and organize these local non-profits. Karl your arguement is flawed to say the least.


Public Private Partnership:

BC: We need a new convention center. We should utilize our tourism tax to pay for it.
Number 2 is baseball. a lot of families cannot afford to take their family to Tennessee Titans Game; But they can afford a ticket to a baseball game. Lets at least consider the 14 acres at the old thermal plant site. lets look at all of our options in the future.

Good and Good. I still like the Idea of a Duel use Baseball Stadium/Amphitheater at the thermal site.
KD: As I've stated I have no intentions to increase property taxes. I think we need to look at different sources of revenue; particularly help from the state. we also need to enhance our position concerning sales tax. The convention center will help do that. We will see a return on a convention center when our visitors go out to eat and go shopping in Nashville.
True to form, but nothing new to the plan.
BCR: Karl said he didn't have any intention to increase property taxes. I have pledged NOT to increase taxes and Karl will not join me in that pledge. you know how much that tax has generated in the last 8 years? $250,000,000 dollars. Thats 50% increase in the last 8 years. I think you deserve a break.
Bob... Please don't! he's gonna get angry and all flustered... I'm kinda afraid he might bite 'cha.


Workforce Development:

KD: I would first inform TDOC that they have a responsibility to release inmates who have job training; educational training; and all substance abuse issues resolved. We can't have a revolving door of crime; and this is a state responsibility. As Bob has said; I won't take a pledge because I think a pledge is a gimmick. As it stands the only people who can increase taxes are the voters of davidson county. What is your pledge?

(interesting... but I'm kinda sick of not getting to hear an answer to the question because this lawyer wants to bicker and argue all night...)


BC: Karl your the one who wrote the legal opinion that the people don't have a voice when it comes to property tax increases. I've also asked you what is your personal opinion about your legal opinion that the people don't have a right to a voice when it comes to tax increases.

( KNOCK OUT!)

KDR: The Metro Council asked for my opinion. it was my legal judgement. The referendum has now passed; and I am going to follow that law.


BCR: theres a difference between being a lawyer and a leader. I intend to LEAD Nashville forward in the next four years.
(Nice... Dean is now Furious!)

KDR: I'll be a leader and I'm not going to raise taxes period.

(took you LONG ENOUGH TO COMMIT DUDE... and one thing... in a debate; you should act professional and keep your cool... your not arguing with your legal partners. k? k! )


Homelessness

BC: Homelessness has become a major issue in this city. We have some homeless that are aggressive panhandlers. Most homeless are not that way; but some are and that concerns me. The solution is to offer the homeless facilities where they could be safe and secure; as well as get the help they need.

KD:I would support the "Help! Don't Give" Program. I separate Homelessness from Panhandling. Panhandling lessens the quality of life downtown; and it makes it harder for us to do business downtown. I did the homeless plunge. I believe we need to focus on Subtance Abuse; Mental illness; or just Down on there luck individuals and help them get out of the state they are in.

BCR: Homeless is becoming a difficult problem. They are getting younger; and tend to have more addictions. we've got to work together to solve the problem. I expect the homeless to work (with us) to get involved and help to take accountability for their own lives. (we've got to get them) where they can do more for themselves.



Wireless City:

KD:I think there is a lot of benefit to being a wireless city. But it would have to be within the budget. I cannot make that commitment without seeing the budget. Maybe we could get the private sector to offer us this option; not out of altruism but out of a commitment to make a profit.

BC: I think Karl said it well; because that is a MAJOR expenditure. My two top priorities are public education and safety. And they go hand in hand. We've got to work to set priorites; we've got to bring about reform. And thats why I'm going to audit each department. I want to know how it works. I want to know how efficient it is. I want to know what changes we need to make to make this city what you want.

KDR:Back to the issue; in terms of priorities. we should focus on our kids having the best technology in schools; before we have wireless throughout the city. We also need to work to make sure our kids have the best possible training where if they are going into a vocation they have the best computer training available.


Affordable Housing:


KD: affordable housing comes in a number of levels. First the Homeless. If people are truly homeless and need help getting on their feet again; affordable housing is a part of that.It's also important for low-income and middle income people who are performing important jobs. We need to work with non-profits to make sure we are building a good pool of affordable housing.

For those of you who assumed I was just taking sides in the last post... read the highlighted area... we don't need to build... we need to renovate. biggggg cost difference.


BC:Low income affordable housing. The average price of a home in Nashville (to BUILD) over $190,000 alot of people can't do that anymore. I know Ken Eaton when he was in our Forums he really spoke out about that. A lot of people have great ideas about the future and low income affordable housing; what we've got to do is take these ideas and run with them. I like to take Idea's and put 'em into action. We can do great things in Nashville and take Nashville from good to great.



and listen to that he even gives credit to people for their ideas... maybe thats why I back Bob... He's a down to earth guy.

Now my question is... Where are his democratic supporters when he needs them?

Did Davidson County go red? or did it go green?



oh... does anybody know when it will rain again?











No comments: